Peach Cobbler

This is a favorite in our home.  The drop biscuits are light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness.  The peaches have only a few ingredients so their natural flavor shines through.  The first time I made with was many years ago for my husband's family holiday dinner.  I was a little nervous because I had never made a cobbler before and didn't know if this was what it was supposed to be like.  No one said anything when we started dessert and just as I was starting to think I had ruined dessert, his uncle piped up and said "now I see why you married her."  I prefer to use raw cane sugar in baking recipes.  I like the little hint of flavor it adds but you can use white sugar as well.  The demerara sugar to sprinkle on top is optional.  It adds a little extra crunch if you want it.  I only add it is if I have it on hand.


Ingredients:

For the filling:
6 fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup raw cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
5 tbsp of cold butter, diced
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
Demerara sugar for sprinkling (optional)

Serve with coffee or vanilla ice cream

Preheat the oven to 425.  Place the peaches in a square baking dish (9" is a good size.  I have used smaller and larger depending on what I have available).  Sprinkle the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract over the top of the peaches and toss to coat.  Bake the peaches for about 25 minutes until the juices are just starting to bubble.  Meanwhile, to make the topping, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.  Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles sand.  Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl and then add it to the dry ingredients.  Mix with a fork until a sticky dough forms.  If it is not sticky, try adding another tbsp of milk.  Reduce the oven temperature to 400 and remove the peaches.  Drop spoonfuls of the topping over the peaches, remembering it will spread out.  Sprinkle the optional demerara sugar over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes until the topping is golden brown.  This can be served hot or at room temperature with ice cream.

Comments