Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili

I forgot to tell my husband to pick up something at the butcher and knew we had a weird schedule in the evening so I got creativeI  I came up with this with what I could find in my refrigerator and cabinets.  It was actually pretty tasty.  I have a stovetop vegetarian chili that features mushrooms and zucchini.  I was afraid that the zucchini would get too mushy and the mushrooms too rubbery so I went with sweet potatoes to add texture.  I used diced green chilies here but would have used fresh jalapeño if I had it.

Ingredients:
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 4.5 oz can of diced green chilies
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 26 oz box of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of chili powder
2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of cumin

Layer all of the ingredients in the slow cooker in the order listed above.  Turn on the slow cooker for 8 hours on low.  Taste for seasoning.  Depending on the salt content of the canned products you have chosen, you may need to add salt.  Serve with your favorite toppings, I usually put out corn chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar, diced avocados, and diced onions.

Comments