Homemade Cornbread

This recipe is adapted from a Joy of Cooking recipe.  As I mentioned in a previous post, my book is on its last legs and I am trying to post the things that I have found in there and adopted for my family's taste.  This versions light and fluffy with just the right level of sweetness.  I suggest turbinado sugar because it has the slight molasses flavor and it seems to disperse the best in the batter.  This is what I serve with chili!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup stoneground yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
4 tbsp of turbinado sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 eggs
2/3 cup of milk
2/3 cup of buttermilk
3 tbsp of melted salted butter

Preheat the oven to 425.  Butter a 9X9 baking dish.  In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  In a smaller side bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and buttermilk.  Stir the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture until just combined.  Add in the melted butter and stir until all is incorporated.  Pour the batter in to the buttered baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.

Comments