My Mom's Marinated Mushrooms

My mother used to make these mushrooms every year at Christmas.  I can still remember the smell permeating the house.  My mouth started watering the moment that I started making the marinade for these. You will never buy jarred mushrooms again!


Ingredients:

1 lb mushrooms
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 small onion halved and sliced
1/2 cup oil (vegetable or olive)
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
Optional additions, dill & minced garlic to taste

Wash and trim the stems from 1 pound of small button mushrooms (not stuffers).  Steam the mushrooms for 2 minutes.  add all of the ingredients for the marinade to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Add mushrooms and boil for 1 minute.  Cool and place in the refrigerator.  Mushrooms should keep for up to 2 weeks.  They are great on crackers as a snack or appetizer or on any salad or antipasto platter.

Comments