"Italian" Meatloaf and Green Beans

My dad makes a great meatloaf but he must be leaving something out when he gives me the recipe.  Really he doesn't ever give me a "recipe," her gives me the list of what he puts into something.  I don't think he as measured anything in his life.  I cook much the same way but have been trying to get best approximations of my families favorite recipes to share with my sister who is too far away for us to feed.  Since my initial attempts to recreate my dad's meatloaf didn't really match up (I suspect it has to do with how he forms the meat and the butcher cut bacon he uses) I decided to make my own meatloaf.  As I always do, first I attempted a few other recipes that looked good and then used what I learned to make my own.  Sorry but I didn't take photos the night I made this because I wasn't sure what to expect from the results.  What you see is from my leftovers that  took to work the next day!



Ingredients for meatloaf:

3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 green or red pepper, seeded and diced
1 tbsp of olive oil plus more for sauteing
1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 large eggs
2 tbsps of minced, fresh, flat leaf parsley
1 lb of ground beef
1 tsp of salt
20 turns of ground pepper
1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1 cup of grated Parmesan
3 oz of thin sliced pancetta (about 6 slices)
1/3 of a jar of tomato or marinara sauce


For Green Beans:
The rest of the jar of tomato sauce
12 oz if green beans
Chicken broth or water to thin

Heat the olive oil for sautéing in a large sauce pan.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring to be sure that the garlic does not burn.  You want the garlic to be lightly browned.  Add in onions and bell peppers and stir well to ensure the garlic doesn't burn. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onions and peppers are softened and then set aside and cool.  Preheat the oven to 375.  Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl combine the 1 tbsp of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, eggs and parsley.  Whisk to combine well.

To the egg mixture, add ground beef, salt, pepper, panko and parmesan.  Add in the onion and pepper mixture and using your hands combine all ingredients well.  Place the meat mixture onto a large sheet tray and form into a "loaf" sheet.  Make sure the meat is is formed well enough to stay together but do not pack the meat too tightly.  Layer the pancetta over the top, covering the meat.  Place the loaf in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.  ABout 20 minutes before the meat is done, put the sauce in a small pot, bring to a boil and then allow to simmer and reduce for about 20 minutes.  After 45 minutes, check the meat to see if the pancetta has browned and crisped up.  If it has not crisped up, turn the heat up to 400 and cook for 10-15 minutes more.  I served this with garlic knots so this is when I put the dough in to cook.  Meatloaf is done when the meat registers at 165. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes.  Slice into thick pieces to serve and top with reduced tomato sauce.

For the green beans.  About 20 minutes before you are ready to serve your dinner, place, green beans, tomato sauce and chicken broth in a pot.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cook for about 20 minutes and then serve.

Comments