Homemade Sausage Pizza with Ricotta Dollops

I FINALLY did it!  I made a pizza that my daughter ate without complaining.  First time in 7 years! What kid doesn't like pizza?  Mine.  My husband and I love pizza and I enjoy the night off from cooking when we order it out.  We live in New York and have accesses to a ton of different pizza places.  We have tried every local one and she won't eat any of them.  When I have some extra time, I do like making my own creations, either with a dough from our local Italian specialty store or by using my bread machine in the morning before I leave.  I make a variety of different toppings and sauces but this in the on that she finally not only ate, but asked for seconds.


Ingredients:
1 fresh pizza dough
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (jarred sauce should only have ingredient you would put in your own pot)
1 link of sweet sausage, no fennel, removed from link
2 cups shredded mozzarella
15 oz ricotta cheese
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese, fresh grated
Garlic powder
Cornmeal

Pre-heat oven to 425.  Heat a small amount of oil in a small saucepan.  Add sausage, break-up into small pieces and cook through.  Add sauce to the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, lightly and evenly oil the bottom of a large baking sheet.  Sprinkle sparsely with cornmeal.  Stretch pizza dough to cover the pan. Lightly spread oil over the top of the pizza crust.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and parmesan cheese. Bake for 10 minutes on the bottom rack.  

Remove lightly browned crust from the oven.  Cover with sausage sauce and then top with mozzarella. Dot tablespoons of ricotta cheese evenly over the mozzarella.  Lightly salt, sprinkle with parmesan and pepper.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes until mozzarella is just beginning to brown.

Comments