Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Ahh cookie pie…  For many years I have been trying to come up with a recipe that is similar to the chocolate pecan tart that is served at a local (very fancy) french restaurant that my husband I love to go to.  The restaurant is expensive so we don't go very often.  Then we discovered that our daughter has a nut allergy so my dreams of homemade chocolate pecan tart faded.  Until one day when I really wanted to make cookies and really didn't have the inclination to deal with the mess or the time it would take to make them and I started to think, maybe I can make one big cookie.  Of course every recipe I could find for a giant cookie had nuts in it.  Finally I decided that the best way to proceed would be simply to use what most of the recipes were saying to do and omit the nuts.  I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough volume since most recipes called for a lot of nuts so I made sure to beat the eggs until foamy to add some lift and them added a whole lot more chocolate than any other recipe seemed to think was wise.  There were no objections from the people eating the end result and my most requested dessert was born!



Ingredients:
1 unbaked pie crust large enough for a deep dish pie dish
2 large eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar 
1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter softened
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 and adjust one rack to the center.  Measure flour and both sugars into one bowl and mix together.  Beat eggs until foamy in a stand mixer or with an electric mixer, about 2 minutes. add in flour sugar mixture and mix until combined.  Add in softened butter and beat on high sped until well incorporated.  Stir in chocolate chips and then spoon into pie crust.  Bake for 1 hour.  Cool for at least 1 hour before serving.  Slice and serve with whipped cream and ice cream of your choice.

Comments